The Veteran and the Revenant




This is an experiment in format: previously, I've posted all of my projects and content on Instagram, using my account @cw.hobby. This led to posts that were very wordy and contained lots of photos to scroll through, and while I don't know or particularly care much about analytics and engagement, I know that I personally don't usually read long posts or scroll through long photo sets on that platform. This time, I've posted a shorter blurb and a few photos there, but the bulk of the content is here on the blog. I will likely continue with this format going forward, at least with more extensive projects like this one, mostly because it saves my thumbs, but also because for those who have similar browsing habits to me, this will be a better arrangement overall.

***


Today's post has to do with two models I have been planning almost since the day I opened the Empire Greatswords kit. I call them the Veteran and the Revenant, the former an officer who deserted his unit, the latter a shade, amalgamated from the vengeful spirits of the soldiers he deserted.

The Veteran, weary and battered











I wanted the Veteran to look grizzled and weary, like he had seen a lot of action. Originally I thought about using the greatsword as a crutch, but as the photos show, the weapon is taller than the model! I settled for a heavy lean instead, and picked a suitable open hand from the Free Company Militia box set. This is probably my favourite kit, and one that I wish GW would produce again (or something like it). The sheer variety is amazing. I pulled a matching arm from the same kit to hold his hat. This arm used to hold a sabre, and was actually the main thing holding me back from the conversion in the first place. I had never used green stuff until this past November, when I picked some up at a local hobby store.  The sculpting work isn't extensive, but it is significant to the figure, allowing the hat to fit properly and making the sword hand a bit more natural with a less static thumb. I'm particularly happy with the bandage over his eye; it wasn't something I had originally intended to add, but I thought of it towards the end of the process. It took a couple of tries to get right, which makes the result more satisfying to me.


***

The Revenant in all its glory













The Revenant is heavily inspired by The Witcher 2. It was my introduction to the series, and the image of the wraiths stuck with me for years afterwards. When I saw the helmeted skull from the Greatswords kit, those memories came right back. I don't own any undead bits, but I challenged myself to make a convincing undead character from my existing collection. My first idea was to use the halberd from the Free Company box, but I decided that while it was a fitting infantry weapon, I wanted something more iconic. The axe from the Greatswords, with its menacing shape and cross cut-out, struck me as a suitable weapon for a spirit of vengeance. Non-skeletal hands didn't bother me, as I imagine them to be ectoplasm, but I did question whether or not to give it a neck. I had a throat guard picked out that could hold the head in place, but when it came time to build I decided the armour would cover too much of the eerie skull face, and opted for a green stuff neck instead. Green stuff also helped me re-pose the axe hand into a more pleasing position (it normally hangs across the front, perpendicular to the legs). The shield from the Giant kit, with its battered appearance, stood out as a nice final touch for the model. I feel that it gives the impression of having been scavenged from a lost battle, exactly what I wanted.

I find the poses evocative as well, and took a couple of "confrontation" pictures featuring both models to show them off. The longer stride of the Revenant lends a sense of vigour, making it feel much stronger than the Veteran. Likewise, the Veteran's short stride, combined with the overall forward angle of the miniature, makes him feel like he's leaning much more heavily on his sword for support. I wanted to communicate that he has very little fight left in him, and that his fate weighs heavily.




I took all of these photos in front of a backdrop from a Darkest Dungeon diorama kit. The kit itself was an impulse buy, but one that I don't regret in the slightest. Although there are four backdrops included, I mostly use this one, which depicts the hamlet sacked and burning. I feel like it's particularly appropriate for Mordheim-related photos, and though these two aren't explicitly aimed at Mordheim use, the game itself is a constant source of inspiration. The atmosphere, lore, and rules system ooze flavour.

The confrontation, angle 1


The confrontation, angle 2














Speaking of which, I feel like I should mention the Mordheim MMXIX / Mordheim 2019 project currently being undertaken by a number of very talented fellow hobbyists I follow on Instagram (several of whom have blogs of their own). I am not officially contributing to the project itself, but seeing their work motivates me to keep on carving out my little corner of the hobby world. If you haven't already, check out #mordheim2019 and its contributors; you won't be disappointed!

***

Barrel Bill
One last bit for today, I put together this guy at the same time as the other two. I think of him as the mascot for some regiment or warband. The barrel is from an Ogre kit, and I imagine it contains his pickled corpse or bones. It might also just be filled with wine; the skull was all his companions saved of him, a gruesome memento, drinking buddy, and companion for the long night watches in the City of the Damned.

If you got this far, thanks for reading, and come back soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hollow Knight Relicblade (Relicnail? Hollowblade?)

Mordheim Musings: Flawed Warband Design Part 4

Relicblade Ramblings 1: Introduction and Knight Tactic Cards